Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 'We Don't Know Each Other': Film Explores Tension Between Africans & African Americans
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Faults Seattle Schools For 'Lack Of Urgency' In Serving Most Vulnerable Students
News & Music Contributors
Wed December 15, 2010
After dog electrocuted, Seattle finds three faulty streetlights
Seattle City Light inspectors have discovered potentially dangerous voltage present in three streetlights, a situation under scrutiny since a dog was electrocuted Thanksgiving Day on Queen Anne. "Sammy" was on a walk with his owner when he stepped on a metal plate cover at the base of a streetlight on Queen Anne Avenue.
The lights have been shut off to the three lights until repairs can be made.
A statement from City Light notes one of the poles, on Capitol Hill at 13th and E. Aloha, had original cables installed in the 1920's. The other lights are 3o to 40 years old, and located in the Central District (23rd and E. Union), and First Hill (Boren Ave. and Marion Street).
Another pole with frayed wiring was also found in the High Point neighborhood prior to the discovery of the three latest problem poles. Immediately following the Thanksgiving incident, a City Light representative told CHS the Queen Anne situation was a freak occurrence and an isolated event.
Meanwhile, inspectors are reviewing 20,000 lights and 10,000 metal streetlight vault covers across the city to check for dangerous wiring and voltage issues. Mayor Mike McGinn wants the work completed by May.